All of these things are making my trip even more of a reality. Once I nail down my resupply points, purchase groceries for my 5-10 boxes, and get all that in order, I won't have much more to do but worry, wait, and work out for the next month.
Furthermore, I am closing in on a start date. I'm thinking around the 14th of April (maybe the following Monday?)... Many things are influencing that decision...
- I would like to be slightly ahead of the pack. The pack is the large group of hikers that will start their journeys after the Annual Day Zero Pacific Crest Trail Kick Off which takes place on the 25th and 26th of April. By being ahead of the pack, I will avoid some bit of crowding and have a little breathing room for my resupply. I have a small worry about too many hikers cleaning out the good food before me in small grocery stores...
- I also don't want to be THAT far ahead of the pack. I really do enjoy hiker company, and I hope to meet some fantastic individuals, so by being near or at the front-ish (at least for a little while) I'll still have high probability of meeting some great folks!
- I also want to attend kickoff... Meaning I will have to hitch-hike or find a ride back (probably from somewhere around Idyllwild. I know that sounds kind of weird to some of you, but hitching or finding a generous and wonderful kick-off going trail angel* won't be TOO difficult.
- I could easily fly into San Diego and bus - trolley - bus to Campo to start my hike, and time it to meet up with Kickoff in Lake Morena County Park, but my good friend Dan who now lives in Carlsbad (yes, may of you college friends know exactly who I'm talking about) says he can take me to the trail and there's actually some great opportunity for us to catch up and hang out before hand!
So yes, I want a lot of conflicting things out of my start date... However, in the end, there may have been missed opportunities or difficulties involving this whole start date mess, but there isn't any use worrying about it much. I expect great things and shitty things from the whole trip, start to finish and embracing the trail and my course along it is really the only thing I can do if (and when) my plans fall apart. In the end, I think the trail will provide what I am looking for and what I need. Or at least that is what I hear.
* Trail Angel: Someone who goes out of their way to perform acts of kindness for thru-hikers. Things like giving rides, posting a phone number people can call for a multitude of things. Having food, water, and other goodies along the trail. Supplying water caches. Hosting hikers at their homes. Offering services like laundry, lodging, food, etc. And many more wonderful acts of kindness and charitable good will. Angel really is a great word for these people.
Up next: a gear rundown? resupply stops?

No comments:
Post a Comment