So a month from tomorrow I'll be boarding a plane to San Diego to hang with my friend Dan for a couple days before hitting the trail on the 14th of April..
Food is finally in the works, starting out at around 3000-4000 calories daily for the first month.. And anticipate upping my load to 5000/day after the hiker hunger sets in. I can't truly conceptualize eating that many calories a day.. But I know it happens to most hikers. I'll have burned a lot of fat off of my body and even at those high ranges I'll still be running a deficit. I can't say I'm looking forward to the insatiable hunger, but I do look forward to eating as much as I want (whole pizzas, chickens, giant burgers... Etc etc) on my stops in rural towns. My mailed supply boxes has been upped to 10.. More than I want.. But oh well...
Final bit for this post. Some people carry funny, technically useless things along the trail. Something with meaning but little function.. Like a small toy or trinket. I think it's kind cool. I mean, so many hikers work so hard to cut weight from their packs, but to go and carry something so "useless" is almost against the light weight dogma. That little something must have strong meaning. I've decided that I'm going to carry a baseball. I got the idea from my friend Ryley. Not directly, but he did unintentionally inspire me. I think it'd be an awful cool keepsake to have a ball signed by all the meaningful people I met or hiked with or who help me along the way. A game ball, carried 2,660 miles, if you will. Can you say, keepsake?

Hey man, this looks way epic! Hope it all goes well and I look forward to seeing how it all goes!
ReplyDeleteThanks John! Some of the big influences on my decision to do this hail from our 423 days!
DeleteSweet shoes and knocks. Like the baseball idea.
ReplyDeleteThanks brother!
DeleteHi Kyle,
ReplyDeleteA co worker of mine (Roxy) told me of your adventure after hearing that I had completed my pct thru hike last year. Wow so excited for you! Sending lots of good juju your way. Enjoy the easy days, there will be many. The tough days however will bring you a wonderfull sense of fullfillment and accomplishment.
Be prepared to smile. ALOT!!!
rocksteady
Hah! Small world! Thank you for your kind words and wishes! I'm so excited to start and I will keep your advice in mind, I hope I can attain your positive outlook.
Delete